Thursday, March 12, 2009

Liturgical Slam Dancing

Photobucket

John loves screwdrivers. Not in a subtle, can leave them or take them kind of way, no, not in a I-sorta-like-those kinda way, I mean really LOVES them, like he can sniff them out or they call to him. No matter where his daddy leaves a screwdriver John finds it. He hunts through drawers, he scours bookshelves, he scans any surface where daddy was working and low and behold at some point he will find yet another screwdriver. What you can't see in the picture above is the screwdriver under the shirt, I'm not exactly sure what he was doing, but I know he was happy, the look gives it away, but really all I would need to know was that the child had a screwdriver in his hand and I would know that he was happy. The love affair with tools extends to any and all that daddy has touched and that John can find, but for now, his main squeeze is the screwdrivers.

Photobucket

Papa is always wishing that there would be more pictures of me. So here ya go, Mark took one for you. We love you!

Photobucket

Reload! Second only to screwdrivers is anything that is gun shaped and shoots a projectile of any type. We didn't even know that John knew where the bag of rubber bands was until we heard the drawer slam and the chair buzzing at high speed bearing a squealing boy, a bag of rubber bands and a rubber band gun. This boy was made for this daddy. John's favorite thing to shoot lately, the ceiling fan, the ceiling and any and all light fixtures, I don't know where he gets it, but I'm pretty sure we could have named him Mark Junior and it would have fit.

Well I know you're wondering what all this has to do with liturgical slam dancing. Being the stick-in-the mud liturgical nazi type Lutherans that we are it cracks Mark and I both up that John's doll and monkey take turns dancing to the hymns we sing during prayers at night. During Lent we are singing "On My Heart Imprint Thine Image" (see you can tell that we have that whole nazi thing going because it's Thine and not yours, but I digress) and while John's doll and monkey dance at other times and to other pieces of music, his favorite is for them to dance at prayer time. They do a little jig over here, a little wave over there, and then slam into the bed (or whatever surface we are saying prayers on that night), a jig, a wave, kick up the heels, slam, slam, imprint that image kid, imprint that image.

No comments: